Buttock Augmentation is done using your own natural fatty tissue with a procedure called autologous fat transfer. It is a procedure that transfers fat from areas of the body in which you have unwanted excess fat, such as the abdomen and hip rolls, and injects it into the buttocks to restore contour and proportion. The goal of a Butt Augmentation is to give the body a natural restoration of volume. This page will review some of the most common topics related to Butt Augmentation. To view Before & After photos of Dr. Aiello’s Butt Augmentation patients, click HERE to go to the gallery.
Who is a good candidate for a butt augmentation using autologous fat transfer?
Any patient that has lost shape and volume and anyone who has a concern with their buttocks appearing flat, saggy, asymmetrical, or disproportional. You also must have enough donor fat to transfer. During your consultation, Dr. Aiello will gage how much fat he can harvest via liposuction to then use for your fat transfer. Unfortunately, very thin patients with low body fat are understandably not great candidates, as they do not have enough body fat to use. It is important that you do not have any circulation problems, either from a medical condition or smoking.
How does autologous fat transfer work?
Fat is harvested from one part of your body with liposuction. The fat is then purified and the best fat cells are prepared for transfer. He then uses specially designed needles to carefully and strategically inject the fat into your buttocks, grafting it into its new home in your body.
Is a fat transfer permanent?
All of the fat grafted that survives is re-established permanently in the new area. But not all of the fat that is injected establishes a blood supply and survives. There is a limit of how much fat can be safely injected into one area. It cannot be over done in hopes that there is more of a survival rate. The amount of fat that remains over time is variable from patient to patient. Usually we can expect about 70% of the fat injected to stay in the area and the other 30% will likely be absorbed back into the body. The rate of retention varies and it’s important to know it is sometimes necessary to repeat the fat grafting procedure several times to achieve the desired result, especially for those seeking a dramatic projection.
What if I lose or gain weight after my fat transfer?
Once the transfer is done, the fat that stays has an established blood supply and is able to stay in its new home. But, just like with any weight changes, if you lose weight the fat will shrink and if you gain weight the fat will grow, but the fat cell always remain. When you gain weight, you will gain the weight in areas fat cells are present. Since the fat cells that you were injected with were taken from areas that were more resistant to diet and exercise- like the abdomen, hips, and thighs- it is very common for the gained weight to go to your butt.
What about butt implants?
Butt implants have a high risk and complication rate and patient safety is of upmost importance to us. Dr. Aiello’s technique using fat transfer gives the most natural looking result to restore areas with loss of volume, even out fat distribution and fill deep dents. It is a more natural look as it does not give an out of proportion or huge projection of the buttocks. If a patient desires a more dramatic look, it can be done if they have enough fat to harvest and use, but as stated above, it can take multiple rounds to achieve.
More information on Butt Augmentation in greater detail may be obtained from the references listed below:
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery www.surgery.org
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons www.plasticsurgery.org
- Smart Beauty Guide http://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/body/buttock-augmentation/
We understand the importance of having well-informed patients, and will take the time to thoroughly review all of your options for Butt Augmentation so that you are confident with your choices. If you would like to learn more about Butt Augmentation at Ocean Plastic Surgery Center, CLICK HERE to contact us! We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your complimentary consultation with Dr. Aiello.