Liposuction Orange County
Liposuction is a surgical procedure that removes unwanted fat deposits commonly located in the abdomen, hips or thighs, often resulting in the appearance of unbalanced body proportions. Liposuction permanently removes fat cells from the body resulting in a smoother, flatter and more sculpted body appearance. This page will review some of the most common topics related to Liposuction. To view Before & After photos of Dr. Aiello’s Liposuction patients, click HERE to go to the gallery.
How is Liposuction Performed?
Depending on the number of areas the procedure is performed, a series of small incisions targeting the desired fat deposits are made. Then a small suction tube, or cannula, is inserted in the incision which serves to remove the fat deposits permanently. Often times, liposuction is performed along with other cosmetic plastic surgery procedures, such as tummy tuck or face lift/necklift.
I’ve read there are different types of Liposuction. Which is best?
Basic liposuction involves aspiration of fat using a cannula (tube) with suction. However, in some cases Dr. Aiello will incorporate other options such as:
- Tumescent Liposuction – This technique describes the process of infiltrating the soft fatty tissue with saline (salt water) and medications for numbing, pain control and to control bleeding. Dr. Aiello commonly uses this technique.
- Power Assisted Liposuction – Uses a cannula that rapidly vibrates facilitating easier movement through certain areas where the tissues maybe more fibrous and firmer such as the male breasts and back. Dr. Aiello uses this technology when needed in these cases.
- Ultrasonic Assisted Liposuction – Uses a cannula that emits ultrasonic waves to soften fat and make it easier for the surgeon to pass the cannula through the body tissues. It is believed the heat generated also results in some skin tightening; however this heat may also cause severe burns, contour irregularities and pigment changes in the skin. Dr. Aiello does not commonly use this technology for these reasons.
- Laser Assisted Liposuction – Smart Lipo This cannula emits a laser beam that melts the fat, there is no suction. This technology can be done as a stand-alone procedure under local anesthesia for small targeted areas. However in some cases regular liposuction is still needed to remove the melted fatty debris. Dr. Aiello commonly uses this technique.
There are many techniques and new technologies associated with liposuction. It is important to know that while some new technologies can improve your outcome, choosing a procedure based on what’s new is never a medically sound decision. During your consultation Dr. Aiello will determine which option will give you the best outcome. In some cases, multiple modalities are needed. We will always give you options and help you form a treatment plan to best suit your needs!
I need to lose 50lbs. Can’t I just have liposuction?
Liposuction is not a weight loss tool. If you are planning to lose a significant amount of weight (over 20lbs.) or even gain weight (for example, due to pregnancy), this is not the time to undergo liposuction. Dr. Aiello recommends patients be within 20 lbs. of their stable, goal weight to be a candidate for Liposuction. It can then aid in losing resistant fat from problem areas when diet and exercise will not get rid of these stubborn pockets of fat.
What happens if I do gain weight after liposuction?
Liposuction re-contours the body by reducing the number of fat cells. This is permanent and your body will not compensate by creating more fat cells. However, if a significant amount of weight (over 20 lbs.) is gained, the fat cells that remain can still enlarge. So unfortunately, weight can re-accumulate.
I just want Liposuction, but was told I also need a Tummy Tuck. Why?
Liposuction removes fat, but does not tighten skin. (Even liposuction technologies aimed at heating the tissue to encourage skin tightening, are not effective enough to the degree in which most people with major skin laxity require.) Ideal candidates for liposuction have a minimal amount of excess skin and good skin elasticity because liposuction is not meant to improve the look of loose skin. In fact, it can make these issues worse! So, if you’ve had children or experienced major weight loss, your skin has lost the volume that was once causing it to stretch and has not bounced back. In these cases, additional procedures like tummy tuck or lower body lift are recommended to remove excess hanging skin. (Loss of skin elasticity with age can compromise liposuction results, but if your skin maintains elasticity well, age alone is not a contraindication for liposuction surgery.)
More information on Liposuction in greater detail may be obtained from the references listed below:
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery www.surgery.org
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons www.plasticsurgery.org
- Smart Beauty Guide http://www.smartbeautyguide.com/procedures/body/liposuction/
We understand the importance of having well-informed patients, and will take the time to thoroughly review all of your options for Liposuction so that you are confident with your choices. If you would like to learn more about Liposuction at Ocean Plastic Surgery Center, CLICK HERE to contact us! We look forward to speaking with you and to scheduling your complimentary consultation with Dr. Aiello.